Lead partner: TUe
1. Engine testing in 2-stroke and 4-stroke lab-scale engines. And engine testing in a full-size 2 stroke engine.
2. To setup an test environment to evaluate the spray, ignition and combustion performance of Bio-HFO and CLO on a fundamental level;
3. To perform Bio-HFO small scale 4-stroke engine testing;
4. To validate CFD models using the experimental results of a small 4-stroke research engine;
5. To perform a single cylinder engine test in order to assess the drop-in capability / compatibility of Bio-HFO with a full-size 2 stroke engine;
6. Safety assessment onboard to identify potential additional hazards, identify potential risk control measures to achieve safety equivalence in comparison to conventional maritime diesel.
1. Ignition & combustion behaviour of baseline fuels [TUe – Oct 2021]
In this report, the results of a systematic study will be documented concerning the ignition & combustion behaviour of Baseline reference fuels (MEOH and HFO).
2. Ignition & combustion behaviour of Bio-HFO & CLO [TUe – Apr 2023]
In this report, the results of a systematic study will be documented concerning the ignition & combustion behaviour of CLO and Bio-HFO.
3. 4-Stroke research engine – Validation of the CFD models with experiments [TUe – Apr 2024]
In this report, a numerical assessment will performed which will focus on the validation of the Bio-HFO CFD model in a 4-stroke research engine.
4. 2 Stroke engine – Spray and combustion behaviour [WinGD – Apr 2024]
The combustion behaviour under engine like conditions, the compatibility with components and finally the influence of the fuel on the emission of a large marine 2-stroke engines will be understood.
5. Safety onboard [OWI – Apr 2024]
This report will provide a list of possible safety related risks weighted according to the frequency of occurrence and impact.